Edward Pryce, landscape architect, horticulturist, educator, and artist, has left an indelible stamp on the landscape design of Tuskegee University (formerly TUSKEGEE INSTITUTE), where he served from 1948 until 1977 as superintendent of buildings and grounds and professor in the School of Architecture, and from 1977 to 1990 as consulting landscape architect. Using his industry and creative abilities, Pryce made a name for himself in the profession of landscape architecture during a period when there were few practitioners and even fewer Black practitioners.
After earning his bachelor of science degree in agriculture from Tuskegee Institute in 1937, Pryce’s interest in landscape architecture took hold when he worked as landscape foreman on the “San Marino” estate of the president of the Southern Pacific Railroad, Collins P. Huntington, in San Marino, California from 1937 until 1939. During World War II, Pryce was a park maintenance foreman for the City of Los Angeles. After earning the bachelor of science degree in landscape architecture from Ohio State University in 1948, Pryce, who was married with two children by then, returned to Tuskegee Institute, where from 1948 until 1955 he was head of the Department of Ornamental Horticulture and in charge of campus landscape maintenance. In 1953 he earned the master of landscape architecture degree from the University of California at Berkeley.